1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turbo's Aquatics HF L4 scrubber

Discussion in 'Customer Support' started by Peter, Jul 14, 2014.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Peter

Peter Member Trusted Member Customer

Thank you very much for this detailed info.
    I will do as you said, and keep posting my updates.

2. Peter

- Day 25 (2 days from light cleaning).
    - Photoperiod is 9 hours by night .
    - Flow is 500 g/h.
    - No3 = 2-3 ppm (Salifert)
    - Po4 = 0 ppm (Salifert)

So, I have done light cleaning two days ago, and I have removed as much brown growth as possible, leaving green growth behind. I must say that green growth had pretty strong foothold on the screen, so I didn't removed some of strongest GHA from screen. Now, I am getting some red algae patches in past two days.
    Even while I am feeding a few times a day with flakes, frozen mysis and dry pellets, my No3 and Po4 are steady for four weeks. Works great.
    Algae on photos looks much brighter because of flash, in real life they appear much much darker.

001.JPG 009.JPG 016.JPG 031.JPG

Turbo likes this.
  3. Peter

- Day 27 (4 days from light cleaning).
    - Photoperiod is 9 hours by night .
    - Flow is 500 g/h.

248.JPG 255.JPG 262.JPG 265.JPG 269.JPG

4. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

Looks good. I would give it a few extra hours at this point.

5. Peter

Outstanding, I was looking forward to this. Algae look really dark green for sure, and I have some brown and green algae outbreaks in my DT. I am limiting my light to cold spectrum, with 9 hours photoperiod in DT, but some of my corals surely need more than 100 PAR for 9 hours for sure. I can see that.
    How many more hours you suggest for scrubber?

6. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

12, then give it a few weeks to see if there's any nasty side effects. Looking forward to the next set of pics ;)

Peter likes this.
  7. Peter

Thank you Garf a lot.
    I will keep posting for sure.

8. Peter

OK, so I realized that my sump space below DT is really really dark, and that I used flash with my camera in order to get photos of my algae really close. That's why algae appeared so green (powerful flash), from the beginning. In real life, algae is pretty dark, almost completely black.
    I decided to look at algae under room lighting, so I have removed screen and took some photos under room light, and camera+flash at different distances.
    Algae looks really dark an gooey, and I wanted to remove that layer. Surprisingly, this dark hair algae was anchored near the top of the screen, and long string was covering entire screen. I have cleaned it, but I left some strings on screen at this point.
    I am a bit confused that I am getting this amount of really dark growth, with just 2 ppm of No3.
    I hope, that this cleaning will make some more space for new green growth soon.

005.JPG 008.JPG 028.JPG 031.JPG 033.JPG 040.JPG 044.JPG 048.JPG 050.JPG 051.JPG

9. Peter

057.JPG 059.JPG 052.JPG

10. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Don't get too caught up in the details. The overall picture is that you are growing a good volume of algae. When algae on the screen under a flash looks bright green, then under room light it looks dark, this is not totally strange or anything. Is that last pic on post #28 after you squeezed all the water out? If not, you might try that next time - squeeze hard with both hands and then pull it apart. You should see a lot of bright green and dark green strands.

I would not call your growth black, not at all. The point is that you might have a mixture of growth types, but as long as you have growth that is stringy and has volume to it (i.e. it does not disintegrate when you handle it) then you're on the right track - don't worry.

Peter likes this.
  11. Peter

Yes, that is squeezed algae on that photo.
    I have now 12hr photoperiod as Garf suggested, but since than you can see some new detailed photos. Should I reduce to 9hr or leave it on 12hr?

12. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Bumping up to 12 hours should be fine, I usually like to take smaller steps like just adding 1 or 2 hours (to 10 or 11) but you are still on the low intensity LED setting so going to 12 hours should not really cause a negative shift in growth. If it were a full-current LED array or CFL lighting, it might.

Peter likes this.
  13. Peter

Thank you very much.

14. Peter

- Day 31 (4 days from full cleaning).
    - Photoperiod is 12 hours by night .
    - Flow is 500 g/h.

I don't know if this is because of screen maturity, or 12hr period instead of 9hr period, but this scrubber really picked up recently. You can clearly see that I am getting full clean green growth now, instead of mixed from before.
    Four days from full cleaning, and I can't be more satisfied!

060.JPG 068.JPG 079.JPG 084.JPG

Turbo likes this.
  15. Peter

- Day 33 (6 days from full cleaning).
    - Flow is 500 g/h.

Algae is growing well, and I can clearly see good progress.
    Only new thing that I could see now is that cyano is spreading from one edge of the screen. It started as small patch of brown algae, but now I can that see much more space is taken.
    It could be because this tank is still very young (two and a half months old), I am not sure.

008.JPG 011.jpg 015.JPG 022.JPG

16. Turbo

It happens sometimes, it's on the edge of the screen, nothing to worry about IMO.

Peter likes this.
  17. Peter

- Day 34 (7 days from full cleaning).
    - Flow is 500 g/h.
    - No3 = 5 ppm

Here is my update after 7 days from cleaning, and now it is time for another cleaning.
    My Nitrate is a bit higher for 3 ppm now, but that's what I am aiming for after heavy feeding for two weeks. I need at least 5 ppm Nitrates for my softies, and I am there now.
    Fat fishes and happy corals so far. :)

124.JPG

Turbo likes this.
  18. Peter

This is how I clean my screen. You can see how much strings I leave on screen, in order for new growth to have jump start.

145.JPG 152.JPG

Turbo likes this.
  19. Turbo

Yup that's about what I do, scrape of what comes off easily. but don't grind at it. If algae is that well attached, it's survival of the fittest :)

Peter likes this.
  20. Peter

Absolutelly. I was surprised how strong this time algae is holding on.
    Also, I would like to say that this time there is completelly new smell. Instead of previous "dirty beach" smell, today there is clear "vegetable" , "spinach" smell.