1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turbo's Aquatics HF L4 scrubber

Discussion in 'Customer Support' started by Peter, Jul 14, 2014.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Peter

Peter Member Trusted Member Customer

No Ricky, but there is a lot hard white surfaces on glass walls (like calcium or salt film). It is hard to remove, and impossible with glass scrubbers.
    Can this be any clue?

Maybe oversized skimmer and oversized scrubber get Po4 out?

Those are tests from one week ago.

Po4 = 0.16
    No3 = 1.00
    kh = 11.5

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Just so there's no confusion, this is an Alk (Alkalinity) reading, so you don't need the alk test kit

3. Peter

Yes, you are right. I just had opportunity to bring my water to my friend who has those refined tests, so we take them for my tank.
    I will get tests you have requested soon, and let you know.

4. Peter

So, I was finally managed to get tests done. :)
    It seems that scrubber took a lot of elements from my tank, since I didn't do water changes in several months, and protein skimmer played its part also.
    I wanted to see how long can I go without PWC. DT is full with brown hair algae and ciano, but there is no GHA.

Tank Size = 100 g
    Scrubber photoperiod = 9 hrs overnight
    Scrubber Flow = 500 g/h

No3 = 20 ppm
    Po4 = 0 ppm (Salifert)
    Kh = 7.7
    Calcium = 340
    Magnesium = 1050

As you can see those elements are pretty low now, and I have really slow growth in my scrubber.
    Most important thing here is that I can see that my soft corals are going really pale in past few months, and it looks like there is minimal amount of zooxantella in it.
    It's not like bleaching, but like really pale whitish color.

Can you help to understand what elements algae from my scrubber exported, and can I replenish those, or PWC is only solution?

Thank you very much.

5. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Msg and cal are not taken up by algae, you need to maintain these levels with a regular dosing schedule. Alk can be taken up though, which might explain the. Low reading on that. Bottom line is that you need to keep these 3 in line on a regular basis. They are the main key to tank stability and longevity. With these levels fluctuating, or low, this can cause a variety if issues. This imbalance and irregularity can cause algae to get a foothold in the tank.

You can keep these more in line with regular water changes, or you can dose them. But if you rely only on dosing, then you can eventually end up with an ionic imbalance (depending in the product you use).

6. Peter

Thank you very much for your reply, this clears things up.
    Since I have just a few small frags of softies in, I will do major water change (50%) and get back with new results after a while.

7. Turbo

Do you have access to the dosing products for Alkalinity, Calcium, and Magnesium over there?

What about Kalkwasser? ...which incidentally is the same as Pickling Lime, so that should be easy to find - that will boost both Alk and Cal without throwing the ionic balance off. You can add this to top-off water

Then you can dissolve the lime in vinegar first before adding to the top off water and this will boost the Cal more while leaving the Alk alone. It's a bit complex but if this is a more available solution I can point you in the right direction.

Magnesium still plays a role. I find that in new tanks, it drops out faster than in established tanks (which can be tested every month, and boosted when it gets low)

8. Peter

Yes, but dosing is more expensive even than doing water changes.
    I was hoping that algae scrubbing would eliminate need for PWC for several months, but instead I ended with conclusion that I need to do PWCs in order to replenish elements that algae consumed. My scrubber is oversized for my low bioload at the moment, but I was feeding much more, and algae end up consuming even more elements as a result.
    Nevertheless, I had great Nitrate reduction with this scrubber, and really good growth of algae within this awesome scrubber, but I am left with conclusion that higher Nitrates would be more healthy for Soft and LPS corals instead of lack of elements. At the moment everything is almost bleached out, and I still have a tank full of brown algae.
    I know that my maintenance approach is really cheap with this system, but I was thinking that it could work with eliminating PWC for 6 months or so.
    I was never thinking about drastic elements depletion, silly me. :)
    Using Algae scrubber is really GREAT approach for anyone who wish to end up with healthy tank, with a lots of pods for your corals, good coral colors with low Nitrates. Definitely best possible way to filter out your tank, if you are doing regular water changes, as you should.

9. Turbo

Alkalinity (& potassium) is the only thing the scrubber could possibly be affecting. Your rocks & corals uptake alk (rocks sometimes a lot initially) and cal, and this will always be the case no matter what

There is no way PWCs should cost you less than dosing kalkwasser. Did you look into that? Pickling lime?

10. Peter

Hey this is great insight, thanks!
    So I could watch Alkalinity and potassium for my scrubber needs, and that would be all regarding algae needs?
    Yes, I have read about it, but we don't have pickling lime here. Can I use regular lime instead?
    I can get regular lime here.

11. Turbo

Yes, Alk and Potassium is really all you need to watch. Depending on your setup, Alk may not be affected by the scrubber, but if you are growing a lot of algae, it can.

Calcium Hydroxide is pickling lime. Are you sure you don't have that? It's the same thing you use to, well, pickle things. Far from dangerous.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mrs.-Wages-Pickling-Lime-16-oz-Pack-of-6/17339182

If not, can you provide a link to the lime that you do have available? It is important that it is the correct chemical.

12. Peter

Hey, I got it now....it is not a lime, it is substance...sorry I didn't get it at first.
    Yes, we have this here! :)
    I am not sure about ingredients, but I will buy one and read it for you, so that we could be sure.
    Anyway, it says that this is LEMON ACID E 330, if that helps.

Also we have something consisted of natrium benzoate e211.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  13. Turbo

Neither. It is a powder that is just pure calcium hydroxide.

It's super cheap

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-bulk-kalkwasser-calcium-hydroxide-aquarium-supplement-1.html

And you should be able to find it in a pure enough form in a grocery store. The link I shared to the Mrs Wages Pickling Lime is widely used in reef keeping in the US. The BRS version is likely better.

Kalkwasser is available from Brightwell Aquatics, Seachem, and dozens of other manufacturers but it's essentially all the same stuff: pure powdered calcium hydroxide

14. Peter

After some research I have found that we are using pure calcium hydroxide here, for painting walls. It is very cheap in deed, and it says that it is in fact calcium hydroxide powder.
    I will research a bit more and let you know.
    Anyway, until I sort this thing up I am going to run my tank without protein skimmer and algae scrubber, in order to keep everything in balance. It seems to me that this is best possible option if you don't have enough money to take care of your tank properly.
    Thank you very much for your help, I have bigger picture now.

15. Turbo

I assume you mean with both, not without?

16. Peter

No, actually without Protein Skimmer and without Algae Scrubber.
    Next to my 100 G tank, I have two years old 16 G frag tank where I perform 10% PWC every month and a half. This one is really healthy and I am getting outstanding growth there.
    In that tank I am using just stream pump and LED light. I also have another one with 10% PWC in several month periods. This tank is with T5 lighting. So, I was thinking to use same approach to my 100 G tank also, because I am not much concerned about Nitrates for Softies.
    I am not sure if I am going to export additional elements in a few months with oversized algae scrubber, even if I run it around 4-6 hours per day?
    I would love to perform extremely rare water changes, and I would like to use Algae Scrubber alone as filtration, but without expensive testing or dosing.
    Is that possible?

Attached Files:

• A.jpg
      A.jpg
      File size:
      45.7 KB
      Views:
  17. Turbo

You could run the scrubber even less than that if you wanted to, until the tank grows out and you have more bioload.

I understand what you're saying regarding nitrates. But you still want something present to reduce them, softies should do fine in very low nitrate water, as long as you are feeding there will be nitrate available.

The comparision between the large, new tank and the smaller, more established tanks is not exactly parallel because you have brand new rock in the tank, and as this rock cures, and as coralline starts to encrust, this will drop the alkalinity and calcium faster, so you're going to have to dose or do water changes to keep those levels in check, regardless of whether or not you are running a skimmer and/or scrubber.

Also the low alkalinity probably means that your pH is out of balance, probably low. Alkalinity helps support pH so you need this corrected and then you need to keep it there. Kalkwasser dosing really helps to keep the pH up. Once you figure out how much you need, you can mix it into your topoff water, or you can mix a saturate solution and dose a specific amount daily (or a couple times a day). But don't "chase" your pH by adding other things, just keep the Alk in check.

18. Peter

I will surely do as you said regarding this cheap dosing, and limit my use of skimmer and scrubber until my tank matures.
    Thank you very much for this reply ,this was great help for me.

19. Peter

Ok, I am going to use Algae Scrubber as sole nutrient export from now on, and I am going to use just ONE SIDE of my L4, for six hours overnight with 500 g/h.
    I have pair of ocellaris and one blenny in 100G tank, with 5 very small frags of Soft Corals.
    I am going to do PWC of 90% now.

Do you think that this would be good starting point without affecting water chemistry much, in terms of need for PWCs in a few months?

Thank you in advance for your answer.

20. Turbo

I think there are a couple things to consider.

One is that your bacteria is somewhat established, but there are still a lot of things happening biologically to establish the tank. Doing a very large PWC will "reset" the water levels to whatever the salt mix is, which varies widely from one brand of salt to another. So let's say your salt mixes at an alkalinity of 11, and your tank is at 7.7. That's a pretty big swing. Big swings can cause die-off, but with respect to bacteria, these will probably bounce back pretty quick. Without many corals in the tank, it's less of a concern.

Also your pH might be different between the tank and new saltwater. This could affect livestock. Then of course you want to match salinity and temp.

What I would do, if it's not too difficult, is catch the fish and bag them, and float in the tank while you do the PWC, then acclimate them after the PWC. This would reduce the chances of a death due to salinity, pH, etc differences with such a large PWC.

Might do the same with the corals, or just pull them to your frag tank for a few days then acclimate them back.

Also remember to let the salt mix for 24 hours or at least overnight before the PWC, then adjust the salinity as needed before you do the PWC. You can test the new SW mix if you want before you do the PWC but I wouldn't waste the test, just do a "baseline" test 24-48 hours after the PWC and then you will have your new "starting point". Then test Alk and Cal a week later and note the drop.

The other route you could go is 2 45% PWCs. Do one, wait a day, and test. It might be enough to reset the Alk and Cal to where you want it. But that all depends on your salt mix - which is why you might want to mix up 5 or 10 gallons to a salinity-matched level and test that water (after letting it mix for 24 hours).

If your salt mix has alk=13, then a 50% PWC with water that is at alk=7.7 would boost the tank water up to about 10ish