1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UAS results

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ricky, Nov 21, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Ricky

Ricky Member Trusted Member Multiple Units! Customer

Below is a copy of my post in the as site. Please feel free to discuss:

I have been in this hobby for fifteen years. Have tried just about everything and was so happy when I found the scrubber. I'd made this hobby so much more enjoyable and I'm very thankful to sm for promoting it.

That being said, I'm a little frustrated with recent developments. Last time I checked the scrubber is a form of filtration and a very effective one. You measure a filters performance by the results. Your n, p and debris is low your filter is effective. If not then you wasted your money.

When did we become an algae growing community? Why does it matter how much algae I get? Why does it matter what color it is? We need to start seeing results. I don't need a video on how to harvest. It's not rocket science. You grab it and dump it. I need a video that says this is my growth and THESE are my TEST RESULTS.

My ats was my ONLY form of filtration on my 120 over a year. My 60 over 8mo and is still going strong. My tank crashed during hurricane sandy and my ats handled the cycle beautifully. I have yet to find someone running a tank on a UAS only. All of the tests from reputable hobbyists have come back the same. It grows algae but it doesn't get nutrients where we want them.

I gave it a try, a bunch of people in my local club did, some people in this forum did and we all get the same results? Where is the proof that this thing works? Because you post pictures and it has algae attached? My rocks had algae. Heck let me throw some nori in the tank and it should filter!

We are driving people away from trying the ats. Not only that. We are deceiving people. There is no clear definition of what an effective scrubber is anymore.

We had PROVEN by trial and error many things.

Eg.:

Dump bucket style: not effective
    Horizontal scrubber: not effective
    Single sided: less effective
    Vertical waterfall double sided: very effective.

Tons of thanks running them with similar results, low to very low nutrients.

As of right now there is no proof that the UAS works. Please let's start posting results of tests, what other kinds of filtration we have, size of tank vs size of scrubber.

These are the kinds of things we need to show the hobbyist that is looking for a scrubber so that he or she can make an informed decision on what scrubber to buy or build.

2. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

My submerged horizontal is giving me exactly the same results as my waterfall, but my waterfall was a DIY Job. I wouldn't class it in the same bracket as a UAS though. I'm getting double the growth but only one sided. I think running horizontals too shallow was duff information touted by SM years ago. And the bubbles have got to touch the algae, or it won't grow BS is laughable. SM has been asked numerous times for successful UAS (including surf) pictures or testimony. The only pics put on forums over here in the UK are gooey slimy crud caked boxes. While we are on the topic of UAS (slightly off topic), isn't there an electrical testing code or something that's being violated by selling (presumably) uncertified and tested submerged lighting units.

3. Ricky

I don't care bout that man. Not looking to ruin the guy. Just want evidence. I feel like we are forced to swallow this piece of **** UAS.

Thats what I'm looking for a thread like your badass test but with UAS testing.

4. Garf

Fairy muff :)

5. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I agree that the bubbles are mostly BS. I'll have to let my L2 UAS grow out a bit and take video of what is going on. I have left the DIY bubble bar in there for a few months now and have just been pulling algae out like he does on the SURF units, not removing the screen, not breaking down the unit, etc. The result is that all but a few holes in the bubble bar have sealed up, and what is left bubbles up to the surface so it looks like a lot when you take the top off, but from the side you can't see any bubbles. The growth fills the box completely within 10 days, regardless of the location of the bubbles or water flow.

It grows lot and lot of algae - I'm talking 2x more than the SURF vids, easily. This all started happening after I took all the fish out except for a goby/shrimp pair and stopped feeding (1/2 to 1/4 cube every other day). I tested last night and Nitrate has bottomed out, but phosphate is still at like 0.29 ish. Now I've gone an mucked up the test and added 2 pairs of clownfish and started feeding daily. But at least I've got a new baseline.

I'll take the hat off this one also. I bought a SURF2 from a local guy who couldn't make it work. 6 months old, and I believe one of SMs first batch of units...so let's just say that I hope he has made great improvements in his manufacturing technique. I'm not sure how long my test will be though, because I put it on a stock tank that I have to quickie set up, 60g tons of coral, 2x 250W MH, 2 clowns and a mandarin.

6. Garf

I'm still worried about SMs original patent where it admits that previous research indicates that bubbles actually inhibit algal growth.

7. I am using a home - made UAS with a lot of bubbles from a bubble wand, but I have always assumed the bubbles were to create the waterflow up and through the screen and algae growth, not so much for the air - interface for plant growth. Since I am not running a skimmer, this also works as aireation for the water in the tank.

8. Garf

If it works for you, great. I don't have a problem with using bubbles as a circulation method (although not as powerful as gravity). I have recently seen some old research that grew algae in low flow and high flow systems. After the low flow growth is exposed to high flow for a period of 10 or so hours, the algae phosphate content increased by 40%. High flow was indicated at 45 cm second. So perhaps there is a case for UAS systems to be exposed to high flow prior to harvest. (just thinking out loud as normal).

9. Right now I am running a waterfall scrubber and a UAS scrubber, alternating cleaning between the two. Probably overkill for the size tank I have and the feeding I do, but I really want to reduce the amount of algae growth in my DT. I run both scrubbers 18 hours on, 6 off - and am using GFO and Carbon as well to cut down on Phosphates. I still am pulling out a cup of algae every week from the DT by hand [wet] in addition to the algae coming from the scrubbers - also at least a cup each [wet]. Other than the amount of algae growth, my Nitrates read close if not 0 every time I check and Phosphate is running .02 - .03 -- What is also driving me a bit nuts is that the PH in the tank is around 8.0 and nothing I do to raise it over time seems to bring it up at all. Seems like the scrubbers act in some way to lower the PH???

10. Ricky

Where can i find this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

12. Turbo