1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using CO2 in skimmer feed.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sammie, Apr 14, 2016.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Sammie

Sammie New Member

ohio
    I was thinking that planted tank growers use CO2 to help grow aquarium plants in their freshwater tanks I got thinking could I use my output of my calcium reactor to feed the turf scrubber as this contains CO2 used to dissolve the media. I think this also would help keep the Ph of my tank closer to 8.3 as it should be. I would need to add more flow to the CR output but the CO2 is what I was wanting to use.
    Any thoughts???

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Yes, you can do that, but I would still consider both to be separate systems. Meaning, don't change a setting on the Calcium Reactor to account for something (the scrubber) downstream from it. Run the reactor just like you normally would.

A few people have tried injecting CO2 right into the scrubber intake via a needlewheel type pump, etc, and while it may have bulked up the algae production a bit, it was hard to say whether it was worth it or not.

Really though, any aeration seems to help a bit. So I guess I'll leave it at "it definitely cannot hurt anything"

3. Sammie

Sammie New Member

ohio
    Thanks for the quick response, as I thought the output for the reactor is just dumping into the sump anyway why not direct it to the new scrubber. I didn't plan on changing any CR settings just relocate the output. At best it will pump up the algae growth and at the same time remove some of the CO2 from going into the tank and lowering the pH.

Turbo likes this.