1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vertical SS vs Slope Scrubber?

Discussion in 'Basic Principles' started by Pny, Dec 16, 2014.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Pny

Pny Member

Single sided vertical vs slope scrubber? Are there any difference in efficiency between the two, and why?

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I used to say that a sloped scrubber was "non-vertical" and thus lumped in with horizontal, but I've changed my opinion on that based on a few builds I've seen. I think that anything with a slant of more than about 10-15 degrees would function about the same as a vertical single sided waterfall.

3. Matt Berry

Matt Berry Active Member Trusted Member

From memory, @Kerry has run both sloped and waterfall scrubbers & might be able to comment

4. Kerry

Kerry Member Trusted Member Customer

I still run a sloped on my 10G pod tank but its a real light bio load. The Water Fall is by far superior IMO. I have tried the sloped or horizontal with LED's and the CFL. The LED was better but barely on my tests. I have even tried the submerged screen with the air bubbles rushing up the screen but that only proved to be just a bit better then Horizontal with LED. The Dual sided/lighted, LED Water Fall IMO and experience seems to be the king of scrubbing. I will add that my Horizontal screen in my pod tank is about 3/4 submerged and I dont clean the screen but about every 3-4 months and didnt see any notable difference from every couple three week or so.

5. Matt Berry

Matt Berry Active Member Trusted Member

Interesting that the submerged air bubble scrubber outperformed the horizontal scrubber. At approximately what angle is the sloped scrubber?
    Do you see more growth on the 1/4 of the sloped scrubber that isn't submerged?

6. Kerry

Kerry Member Trusted Member Customer

Just a ball park eyeballing but I would say about 30 degrees. I get most growth in the water.