1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Water changes, Skimmer and LR

Discussion in 'Basic Principles' started by sabbath, Dec 21, 2012.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. sabbath

sabbath Member Trusted Member Customer

I just dumped Zeo and I'm running about 80lbs of LR in a 140g system with a skimmer. I feed about 2-3 cubes a day with a L2 ATS. Hopping that the skimmer will act as the 1 missing cube control from the guide lines for a scrubber.

-Do I have enough live rock for a system with a scrubber?

-Do I need to do water changes now?

-Does running a skimmer put me into the I should do water changes category?

Thanks

2. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

Should be plenty of rock considering your running both skimmer and scrubber. You don't necessarily need to do water changes, just keep your eye on your corals for general health. (you'll have to replace skimmate with salty water obviously). If you've got a mixture of soft corals and hard, watch the hard corals for any effects of compounds released from the softies.

3. sabbath

Good ideas Garf.

What do you guys think of running carbon for the chemical warfare from the softies?

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

It's not going to hurt anything. Just use a very high-quality carbon, and rinse it well in RODI before putting in the system. BRS carbon rox is good stuff and rinses clean quickly.

5. Ricky

Ricky Member Trusted Member Multiple Units! Customer

Sabbath im so proud of you. Lol.. i hate the idea of starving corals using zeo.

I would test every single day untill you get everything under control.

Every day check for phosphates and alk at least.. and make adjustments as needed. Keep handy some gfo and gac.. you probably wont use it.. but if you do need it its there.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

6. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Hint: Go into Tapatalk -> Settings -> Editor -> Signature -> off.

7. Ricky

What if i like it bud.. ever thought of that?.... Lol

Sent from my Superphone iphone crusher using Tapatalk 2

8. sabbath

Lol. Yeah this should be better for the corals by not keeping them at the edge of losing all of their zoanthendelie ( spelling?)

Hmmm so you suspect that I will need GFO for a bit? I will start testing stuff tonight.

9. Ricky

No im not suggesting it.. but say tonight you test and your phosphates are through the roof.. then you have it on hand.

If your scrubber is growing as nice as the pics show youll be fine. But i always have murphys law in mind and are prepared for ut thats all.

Btw. Ive used the brs rox.08 carbon and its a great product.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

10. Turbo

Oh yes, good ol' Murphy. Oh how he has made my life hell. Car accidents (2 of them), lost LEDs, supplier out of packing peanuts, snowstorm shutting down the entire town going on 2 days now...get your bases covered. Galactic alignment / maximum is going to cause problems for a few more years. Today is just the peak of a 7-year bell curve. Happy New Mayan Galactic Calendar Resetting Day.

11. Ricky

Lol... Feel better now bud?

12. Turbo

About your annoying tapatalk signature being gone, or about the fact that I went around today and got my packing peanuts and screws? In either case, yes. I feel better. Thanks for asking.

13. sabbath

Oh boy to top this off. I just heard that the world ends today. Hmmm what to do?

But to be real. Sorry to hear all this has happened to you Bud. Hope stuff turns around.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  14. sabbath

Well we live another day!

15. Ricky

Dang i have to pay for my radion and mp40 now?!!!!

16. sabbath

So you that don't do water changes. What about the detritus buildup in the sand..?

Sent from my mobile

Don

17. Ricky

Have enough water movement.

18. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

The finer sand requires very little flow and the micro fauna travels through the sand at night and eats detritus. Whole different process when using coarse sands, perhaps someone will put a description of what happens when using coarse sands.

19. Turbo

From what I understand, in a reef tank, you generally do not want to disturb the sand bed anyways, or if you do, you must do it on a regular basis. Stirring it up can cause problems - just let it be it's own microcosm.

I use the Special Grade Reef Sand (carib sea) which is bigger than sand and does not blow around but is not big chunks like crushed coral.

20. Ricky

Thats true when it comes to DSBs bud.