1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Water changes, Skimmer and LR

Discussion in 'Basic Principles' started by sabbath, Dec 21, 2012.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

I would have gone for passive flow in a bag in the sump to be honest. The way you've done in may turn it into a particulate filter. Hey ho.

2. sabbath

sabbath Member Trusted Member Customer

You make a good point. I tossed the idea of if I should run it active or passive. I thought that maybe passive would be better while I'm in cleanup mode. I have a bunch of filters so maybe I will change them once a week or so and change the carbon once a month. But I ordered some mesh bags to look at running it passively once the DT algae is cleaned up.

Coming from Zeo where running carbon is very important, what I have learned is.
    If it's run passively the recommendation from the Zeo guys is that you need to pull the bag out and roll the carbon around a little every few days. Other wise there findings is that the carbon just gets clogged with bacteria and particulates.

With ATS the carbon is really just a option. But what I take from it and thought to pass on is. Once in a while we should loosen up the junk from the carbon in the bag. Not a big deal IMO but it can help you get a little more out of it.

3. Garf

I'll keep my eye on that then, I've always just thrown it in a bag that goes into a bubble stop of the skimmer. For the last couple of years I've had a bag of purigen in there also (not sure that really does anything though - except turn red!)

4. sabbath

This goes back to me not sure how much carbon can even do in our systems. Just passing on others recommendations as to the use of carbon...

How will you keep an eye on it? How will you or us know that the microscopic pores aren't just cloged right away with well anything and everything.

5. Garf

Not a clue. Before the scrubber days I would have said when the water turns yellow, but since I've turned my skimmer back on, this doesn't seem to happen anymore.

Edit - thinking more about this, this non yellowing event also coincides with when I started to clean one side of the screen at a time. This may indicate evidence that the sugar production, bacterial growth and skimming process is effective after all.

Edit 2 - have removed purigen and carbon.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  6. sabbath

I cleaned both sides of the screen last time because I saw growth and got anxious. I'm going to go back to one side at a time. It make total sense to leave one side to grow more IMO.

For what it is worth on carbon's effectiveness. It is appearing to help the algae clear in the DT at this point. So I think it is showing me that it is doing something right now.

I also wonder about how things change with a system and if we need to make changes or just observe.
    Cleaning up algae in a DT as it is dissolving in the water vs clean DT mode.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  7. Garf

Revisit - went the whole hog and stopped skimming a few days ago, water going green/yellow without carbon or skimming (noticeable under blue light). Skimmer going back on, see if it improves.

8. Ricky

Ricky Member Trusted Member Multiple Units! Customer

I dont understand why man.. ive been running scrubber only for a year with no yellow.

9. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I recently purchased the Hanna Clarity of Water meter and have yet to really try it - but I have a couple of different tanks to compare so it will eventually get broken in. In the instructions is says to filter water through a 0.45 micron filter for one of the steps, but they don't include it, so I asked and they are sending me one :) so I can test the "apparent color" and then the "true color". Should be interesting...

10. Garf

I suppose what works in yours don't necessarily mean it'll work in mine, and vice versa. Also I have mainly softies, perhaps there giving off a load of "stuff".
    Edit - plus I feed 10 metric cubes of food a day and they don't just contain N & P.

Floyd - that's about the same size as a rotifer sieve.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  11. Ricky

Ricky Member Trusted Member Multiple Units! Customer

Oh.. i dont know anything about sofies... Maybe gac will fix it?

12. Garf

If the skimmer don't get rid, the GAC will be going straight back in.

13. Garf

Bit of a surprise. Have been running a GFO regeneration test. The green haze appeared when I put GFO in the tank (assumed it was the lack of activated carbon). Took the GFO out to regenerate and put the carbon back in, green haze disappeared. Today put the GFO back in, but also left the carbon in, green haze reappeared within 6 hours. Have read that iron can (maybe, nobody seems to have tested it!) leach from the GFO. I think my tank may be iron limited, whether this is yet another function of Allelopathy (nutrient uptake poisoning) is up for debate.

14. sabbath

My first thought is that it may have something to do with the regenerating of the GFO.

15. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I have read though that it is nearly impossible to maintain any measurable level of iron in a reef or saltwater system. Can't recall why that is, but I do not think it is a limiting factor.

I have also heard the GFO can leech iron into the water, but that was just something I read on the interweb from some dude who probably heard it from some guy...

16. Garf

Except it did it first time when the GFO was new. The regenerant for GFO is just sodium hydroxide (same as for regenerating DI resin.)

Floyd - it's got something to do with binding to organics and phosphates and precipitating out. It's a bit odd I must admit. May explain why I don't get that green glass algae though. This is my tank 12 weeks not cleaned.

[​IMG]

Cleaned the pink stuff off today (and the mushroom that was growing on the glass), so I can see if it gets worse (or better) or not.

17. crashmushroom

crashmushroom Member Customer

Interesting stuff i also run a skimmer again because of yellow water and dom build up causes algae blooms i wish i could run a scrubber only but cant tried twice now. Another thing my phos was high so i put some gfo in and my alk dropped from 0 to 6dkh in 2 days.

18. crashmushroom

crashmushroom Member Customer

9 to 6 :)

19. What about water changes? If I make no water changes, what dosing if any? Some inorganic elements are bound to get depleted i would think. Could I be replenishing via food?

20. Garf

If these quotes are to be taken at face value, the water changes are actually necessary to REDUCE build up of trace elements;

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/showthread.php?2643-Elements-in-Foods&p=30620&viewfull=1#post30620

Now, algae does contain these in varying amounts, and therefore exported via harvesting but it seems almost impossible to work out which elements and how much of each are actually being exported through algae harvesting.