1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Water changes, Skimmer and LR

Discussion in 'Basic Principles' started by sabbath, Dec 21, 2012.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I'm still waiting for my grant or donation to come in and fund me to research this among other things LOL

2. Very complicated systems. I haven't done any partial water changes for a very long time. Should I do so periodically? What are the various opinions, fluid though they may be.

3. What instrument(s) would be required to measure the elements and amounts of elements in each algae harvest? Would a spectrometer of some sort be enough? Could analyze the water for these elements as well.

4. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

It's a good job I like Google :)
    http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-12/rs/feature/index.php

5. Garf

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/rs/feature/index.php

6. sabbath

sabbath Member Trusted Member Customer

So will carbon.. remove metals from sand and LR?

Sent from my mobile

Don

7. Garf

Yes, and skimming and scrubbing. Waterchanges to a lesser extent. I've changed my personal view through researching this. It looks like waterchanges are bad !?! Hmm, strange concept. Thing I don't understand is why I've seen posted that scrubbers create trace elements. Wierd after so many years, the basic concepts of scrubbing are truly not understood, apart from N & P is reduced.

8. sabbath

sabbath Member Trusted Member Customer

Ok thanks.
    And good question! Do scrubbers add trace elements or do they remove them?

Sent from my mobile

Don

9. Ricky

Ricky Member Trusted Member Multiple Units! Customer

Suposively amino acids and other vitamins.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

10. Garf

Yes, and it's these Aminos etc that complex with the excessive trace elements and enable them to be skimmed out, adsorbed to carbon and even maybe precipitated onto algae surfaces. When I said skimmers could remove trace elements from rocks etc, I'm assuming that bacterial action in the rocks etc, lowers pH enough to release these elements into the water column, where they are almost immediately re complexed by skimmable dissolved organics. And even if this is not the case, as long as they are precipitated out of solution they cannot be harmful, unless ingested by animals in high enough quantities in the aquarium.

11. Garf

Had a bit of a frenzy, investigating rain (all will become clear). You can see that I may have stumbled on the fact that the sea does skim, and has from the dawn of time. I also accidentally reproduced this skimming effect in my Chinese LED (on waterfall with aeration).

http://www.chameleonforums.com/showthread.php?p=1044280#post1044280

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Garf

http://www.biogeosciences-discuss.net/8/11767/2011/bgd-8-11767-2011.pdf

13. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

So what do the pics of the gunk-filled UFO have anything to do with skimming?

Interesting though. So much for the 'skimmers are not natural' argument.

14. Garf

Because my waterfall is aerated, I get tiny bubbles popping on the surface. This replicates the ocean bubbles fairly well, because unlike a skimmer, the salt particles (and any dissolved organics on the bubble surface) go to atmosphere. A portion of this is then dragged through the UFO which directs these particles onto the warm aluminium heat sink. These particles dry pretty quickly, and "drop out". I'm not suggesting this as an alternative to skimming (already had a few wiring joints blow), just that its evidence that the ocean does in fact skim, to a certain extent at least.

15. Turbo

I get the same type of buildup inside my computer on all areas that move air. I don't think this is organic matter, just household dust, and it combines with the moisture in the enviroment and just builds up that much faster.

About the bubbles popping and releasing organics into the air - never heard of that mechanism before...

16. Garf

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013