1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Water changes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dinox64, May 4, 2016.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Dinox64

Dinox64 New Member

CA
    Been so long I feel like I'm new to this. Are water changes still a thing of the past with a scrubber or are water changes back in? Peeked in to SMs site and seems very one dimentional to what it use to be. Thinking of setting up a tank again.

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I guess it depends. I would say that an effective scrubber does eliminate the need for them with respect to nutrient reduction, but there are other good reasons to do them.

We had Bob Fenner at one of our fests and he spoke about the need to do them because of the "chemical soup" factor. Inhabitants might get used to whatever is in the tank, but new additions might suffer.

Also if you are dosing 2-part, the ionic balance drifts over time so your salinity might look fine but the composure of chemicals might be way off. Using a calcium reactor or dosing kalkwasser would be a better solution.

3. lovefish77

lovefish77 Member Trusted Member

hmmm.. interesting I thought only dosing would be enough. haven't done WC in like 2 months or so with scrubber doing its thing