1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Water flow over the screen

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Q&A' started by Haberdasher, Apr 23, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Haberdasher

Haberdasher New Member Customer

Hi Bud,

Should water flow over the entire width of the screen? I'm trying to minimize the number of pumps I'm running so I have the scrubber plumbed in after a reactor. It is resulting in uneven flow over the screen.

Thanks,
    -Dave

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

When the flow is high, water flow over the screen is almost always uneven until the screen gets growth. The screen on my personal scrubber was arcing across the screen for the first week or so, so I ended up with about 1/4 of the screen being bare. It will fill in.

I have been considering making the recommendation that you valve back the flow on the scrubber for the first couple of days to a week so that the flow is not too strong to wash any algae away, then once the screen is started, increase the flow a little bit every few days. This doesn't really do anything in the long run, but in the short run, it may allow for the screen to start up a little faster. Just a theory, if you want to try it, go ahead. It won't hurt anything...