1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We be scrubbin!

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by Catchemall, May 6, 2016.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    Screen is 6X6 lit on both sides with ip65 20 watt grow leds. Flowed by rio 1100 pump rated at 395gph. I guess I'll start out with the 18 hours on 6 off. Ruffed up the screen pretty good so maybe this thing will take off and keep me from having to buy that high filler media. And eventually I'd like to get brave enough to remove the skimmer lol. Let me know what ya think tips trick suggestions critiques are all welcome.

Turbo likes this.
  2. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    Hi guys and gals I was hoping for alittle advice on my scrubber. My tank is 7 months old starting to show signs of gha after takin GFO off so I built my scrubber. It's been running now for a month and I have cleaned it 3 times just by rubbing my palm and fingers across it. But it's only getting brownish yellow slime it seems to be getting alittle thicker though. its been running 18 hours light a day. I wasn't 100% happy with my slot "flow" so I checked it and it was only .06-.08" wide so I opened it up to .125" wide and now I have a lot better flow. Is there any recommendations based on where I am now and where I need to be in the future?

3. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    [​IMG]

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Good move on widening the slot, 0.8" is way too small. The canvas material is about 1/16" or 0.625 so a 1/8" wide slot means you have 1/32" of space roughly on each side, which sounds tight but that is just right in almost every case - you get a nice even coverage. Any narrower and the algae that grow at the slot/screen junction slows the flow way down, very fast - adds a lot to the head loss of the pump.

As for progress, that looks pretty decent. I would back off on the cleaning frequency, the main reason to clean during the first month is to loosen the brown growth and slime that you typically get at first and those are very gentle cleanings. If you're not getting that, let it grow. At best, just rinse the screen lightly and swipe your palm across it but don't scrub or scrape - let anything that stays attached alone.

The yellow growth is indicative of either too little flow, too much light/for too long, or all of those. The LED floodlights you are using are very intense, so 18 hrs/day right off the bat can cause that but I would say if you are getting that growth at low flow and lots of light, you're on the right track for your system overall.

I think you're at the point where you can let it grow out for at least 14 days. You're at the "clean when you need it" point. Once you start getting thicker growth, you wait until there is thick enough growth that you might end up with some shading. The LEDs are intense enough that you won't tend to get die-off until it's very thick, they penetrate deep into the algae mat, so you can let it grow longer to encourage GHA to take over.

I would still check it weekly and clear the slot/screen junction, unless you get yourself some light blockers :D

5. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    Awesome thanks for the advice the flow increased substantially so maybe that'll help it out seems like it was growing darker on the edges so I backed off the light to 12hours instead of 18. That was also where I was getting more flow for some reason so with the more uniform flow maybe that will get it going and I'll do like you said with the cleanings and see how it does on the two week mark. I'll report back on progress I really appreciate your help floyd

6. Mikebgator

Mikebgator New Member

FL
    Definitely looks like too much light to me. Can you dim your lights?

7. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    I can't dim the lights so I backed off to 12 hours instead of 18. Still seems to be burning the middle though should I back off on the hours of light more? If all else fails I can add me some acrylic to the bottoms and back the leds alittle further away. But that would be kinda extensive. Hopefully another week of growth will get everything going good it's been a week since I posted that picture. On a good note the flow is good now.

8. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok after reviewing the photos from the previous ones there's definatly more growth and looking more greener seems the flow and shorter light may have helped? What are your thoughts @floydrturbo? To clean or not to clean? Haha should I go another week?

9. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Hey so sorry I missed the message!!

Looks like that is filling in nicely, hotspot in the center but that should fill in. Clean vs not clean, could go either way. Let me know what you did :rolleyes: and how it looks now

10. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    [​IMG]

This was a full two weeks growth. So I went to clean it and I over cleaned it. Lol I took way too much off. But it'll grow back in time but I wish I hadn't got so eager with it. But I cut back my lighting to 9or10 hours in hopes to get better fuller growth and not burn the center as bad then maybe ramp them up gradually. Let me know what your thoughts on that.
    Thanks for your help turbo.

11. Turbo

Split the photoperiod up, that can help with the hotspot - allows you to run a bit longer hours, so if you went from 18 to 12, then 12 to 9-10, you can run something like 4 on, 1 off, 4 on, 1 off, 4 on, 10 off

With that amount of growth to start, it will come back. Until it grows enough to where you actually need to scrape it, just rub & rinse

12. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    Alright man I just set up a better timer on that schedule and all I'll do is light rinse and gently swipe until I get some good stuff growin on there. It's hard for me not to clean good when I clean lol. I'll report back with how the new schedule works for me
    Thanks a lot for your help.

Turbo likes this.
  13. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This is one week growth with the new timer schedule like you said mr turbo. Lookin less burned in the center and more of the green. So I just very lightly rinsed and palm swiped left what stayed there.

14. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    [​IMG]j

Latest scrubber shot. It's really liking the new light schedule really starting to green up and fill in so I cleaned this time a good amount but left all that stayed attached. Any suggestions as far as lighting times? Continue as is or any changes?

15. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    [​IMG]

Just can't seem to get good growth for some reason. Just yellow slimy guey stuff.

16. Turbo

Are you cleaning at all? I would not be. Just let it grow, you have plenty of light/intensity, you don't have to worry about roots dying off or anything

17. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    So you suggest just leave it be until it gets really thick then clean it. Ok sounds good ill do that I guess I just worried the brown slimy stuff wouldn't let the good stuff attach or something. THanks for your help.

18. Turbo

You are correct, but I don't see that in your case, in those pics I clearly see GHA attached. You can still rub & rinse the screen, any of the "brown goo" will/should release easily by doing that, if not, it's not brown goo.

The brown/dark slime stuff is usually somewhat clear and snotty, or dark and stringy, and easily rinses away/detaches with a little agitation.

19. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting there I gave this a rinse and swipe to get the pods off. You can actually see a pod in the first pic top right corner munchin away. Haha And cleaned the slot pipe. This is the split photo period for 10 hours

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    Turbo likes this.
  20. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    [​IMG]
    took my nails and scratched off the growth in the last pic and tried to leave what I felt needed to stay. Since the last pic it's been two weeks although one week was light feeding due to vacation. I'm still not getting the growth like some of you guys. I backed the LEDs up off the screen since their so intense. Since I backed it off within the two days it's ran it started to get the darker clumps toward the middle. dunno what that means really. Lol. Lights are 2on 1 off etc for 12 hours. I'm gone leave it be and see where it goes I guess. This is the other sides growth.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016