1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We be scrubbin!

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by Catchemall, May 6, 2016.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    I'm starting to see some growth on my sand and rockwork now. I was hoping this thing would be further progressed than it is.

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

What are your N and P readings?

3. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    I don't have a kit for phosphate but my API says zero for nitrate.

4. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    Which the API always says zero so not sure I believe it. Any recommendations on brand test kit for each?

5. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

API is actually pretty reliable as long as you do it right, shake #2 hard for 30s then shake vial for 1 full minute, etc. follow directions to a T. If it's bright yellow, that's zero

For detecting levels between 0-10, Salifert.

Hanna checker for phosphate, again a kit where you have to do it a certain way but there's really no other as good IMO

Hanna Checker: Phosphate & Phosphorus

Low range is fine, ultra low range is kinda overkill IMO.

The screen kind of matches up with already having low nutrients, except far the dark growth. It's kinda odd.

Do you have any diffuser material you can place on the acrylic window? Not on the light fixture (gets too hot). I think your light is just too intense overall, the bare middle spot is indicative of that, the slow filling in of the screen is also. If the light is way too intense, breaking up the photoperiod can only do so much I think.

Catchemall likes this.
  6. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    I'll get some diffuser material at Lowes this weekend and try it hopefully I can make these lights work because I like the plug and play and how neat they are mounted. But if I have to go to the clamp on domes and cfls or something that wouldn't be a huge deal. So you've talked me into the Hanna I really do need a checker for phosphates. I feel like I've been doing the API correct I've tried to to be picky about how I do it. Good to know the API will be fine. It's always showed yellow for me.

Turbo likes this.
  7. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    Wonder how that milky scotch tape would do placed on the acrylic for a diffuser

8. Turbo

Depending on the heat of the light fixture, it could bake on to the acrylic and you may never get it off You can tape the diffuser on, but I don't know that I would use tape as a diffuser.

9. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    Yea I kinda thought that too haha that'd be a dad gum mess.

10. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    Well I bought the low range Hanna phosphate checker tested twice and both times got zero and nitrates are zero by API so that explains my slow/no scrubber growth. Also explains why my Zoas don't go crazy. But I understand there has to be some phosphate have some minor algae and cyano growth. Nothing like some ice saw just a small nuisance.

11. Turbo

^ autocorrect

Yeah that *could* be part of the issue, probably a contributing factor. In with lots of fish and lots of feeding and a scrubber chugging along, you can have 0/0 also, so one does not necessarily mandate the other.

I did a quick scan and I don't see tank size & fish / bioload, what is that at?

12. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    My tank is a 90 gallon with a 36 sump. Reef octo 150 skimmer. I have a yellow tang, 3 lyretail anthias, a banghaii Cardinal, a Randall goby , two clowns. I don't run GFO in hopes the scrubber would take care of it. I keep the sand stirred so it don't get too nasty.

13. Turbo

Did you ever do the diffuser?

Where did your rock come from?

14. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    Just started diffusing and my rock are dry rock from dr fosters and smith

15. Turbo

how old is the rock / how long has it been in your tank?

16. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    My tank just turned 10 months old I have about 90lb give or take alittle.

17. Turbo

18. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    It was new rock when I got it too

19. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    Prob just me being over cautious because I've saw some nasty algae problems and me being a 10 month old newbie don't want my tank to go that way. Haha. I'll take some pics tonight. I have a front tank shot but it's a distance away so it looks good haha.

Turbo likes this.
  20. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    [​IMG]

Turbo likes this.