1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We be scrubbin!

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by Catchemall, May 6, 2016.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see how nasty my sandbed is. Also starting to see some cyano and green hair algae as you can see on some of the rocks. Nothing too major but I don't want it to get any worse. I feel like I have decent flow. I have two jebao rw8's with about a 1" wave rocking.

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

A lot of that looks like typical growth. Personally I leave the sand bed alone but that's me, if it's only 1-1.5" deep you have very little worries

Catchemall likes this.
  3. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    And this is the hard part of the hobby balancing nutrients for good growth but At the same time keeping em in check to combat algae. I have noticed a real boom in growth on about everything in the system so maybe I'm at a new phase. I've never had the uglies used GFO from the start to keep that from happening. until I started the scrubba then I stopped GFO.

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

There are a lot of biological processes happening, and these are all over the board during the first year. Your rockwork looks nice, now that I have looked at the pics on a big screen I can see that. The processes result in a lot of gunk on the surface, collectively called "periphyton" and you don't generally want to scrub this off or flip rocks because that starts the process over, what you need is balance and stability, and the occasional cleaning.

Balance & stability: keep the big 3 - Alk, Cal, and Mag - at correct and consistent levels. pH is less of a worry, this should take care of itself if you keep the big 3 in line. Trace, depends on what you feed. The one most people forget is Potassium (K) and it's hard to OD on that. Iron, same thing, hard to OD on it. There are DIY solutions for dosing these.

Occasional cleaning: here is what I usually recommend and do occasionally myself - take an old power head and blow off the rocks maybe once a month. Run a filter sock while doing this and leave it on for 12-24 hours then take it off. i.e. only run the filter sock when needed, otherwise let everything recirculate.

CUC: A few snails and hermits are fine. Personally I hate hermits, they just kill the snails. Also most CUC packs you see out there where you have like 200 items for a 75g tank, that's total overkill. 10-20% of whatever those places recommend is more than enough. I single mexican turbo snail can even do you fine in many cases.

5. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    Funny you mention blasting the rocks and cleaning them out I did that the last water change last Friday and I could tell a difference wow were they nasty. That helped a lot I've been dosing Esv bionic for about 2 months now all numbers are good 420 cal alk was 10.4 and mag was 1350 last time I checked it nitrate 0 phosphate 0 I have 5 ceriths snails which are great and two turbo snails 5nerites which don't appear to do much at all haha. And some like you say evil hermit crabs. I'll blast my rocks off at next water change again that really seemed to help.

Turbo likes this.
  6. Turbo

You're way ahead of me then!!

Catchemall likes this.
  7. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    Well I've had a outbreak of cyano so I got looking into it and found out one of these cheap lights had stopped working and the other one had one side bright and the other string was real dim hard to tell how long it's been that way. May be coincidence about the timing with the cyano. If I were to go to CFL light would I need one 23 watt 3000k for each side? Not real sure I'll have room for the domes is my only problem that's why I went with the slim form factor of the led lights. But just didn't work out. So for now until I can figure something out with space I'm going to have to go to refugiam for awhile. Sucks. I still have faith in a scrubber just need better lights.

8. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    I wasn't really too happy with the led ones I got anyway. Am I right in my understanding that I would need two dome reflectors with approx 23 watt CFL in the 2700-3000k range? My screen is 6X4". I checked phosphate after taking scrubber off and it was .04ppm. Nitrate still 0. So I'd like to get it back going.

9. Turbo

Dang missed another recent post, ugh!!

for a screen that is 6x6 or smaller, you can actually get away with a CFL floodlight, no need for a dome reflector, unless you want to try to keep light bleed to a minimum. In that case, you can go for an 8" or even 10" reflector and cut it down with a tin snips to fit into your opening on your scrubber box if you want, but I would leave some kind of venting (cut slits & bend open or punch holes)

Something like this from the Depot

IMG_9818.JPG

IMG_9820.JPG

10. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    Good idea I'm not too worried about light bleed though usually on when I'm asleep anyway. Just getting it to fit smaller would be beneficial so I'll give it a go and see if the cfl floods work out. Am I correct with the spectrum I guess as long as it's a daylight bulb it'll work. But I keep seeing that many use the 2700-3000K does it work better than the 5600k?

11. Turbo

IMO yes, the warmer colors are the best (3000K, 2700K if you can find it)

Catchemall likes this.
  12. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    So I'm in the process of starting back up got the dome reflectors. Walmart doesn't sell the cfl anymore and Lowes and depot is converting to led equivalent. My question is will these work led 60 watt equivelant 9 led watts and 2700k

13. Turbo

If that's all you can find, I would probably go for a bit higher wattage. Maybe 13W?

14. Catchemall

Catchemall Member

Usa
    Well a update to my system I had to use chemiclean on the red slime I don't think it was cyano because it was showing no response to h202 so used chemiclean and it wiped it out and everything is back on track.my guess it was spirulina. One of my frozen foods contains spirulina. Well kind of noticed ever since I took my scrubber off even though my growth wasn't much to brag about but I have been getting phosphate readings. Last night it read .02 with Hanna but it has a accuracy of .04 so looks like I'm gonna go ahead and place my scrubber back on somehow. Mainly because after getting rid of the slime growth I've been getting hair algae. I'd much rather do the scrubber than GFO. I have my old acrylic box still but ditched the led lights since they went out and bought two of the 5-1/2" reflectors and will be buying two floodlights in the 2700k range. I'll repost once I get everything going. I just don't think the chaeto refugiam will be as good as a scrubber

Turbo likes this.