1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will my DIY idea work?

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by Jeapa, Mar 27, 2015.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Jeapa

Jeapa New Member

Hello all. This is my first post here and I am hoping you good folks could help me with my DIY waterfall scrubber idea. I have had an aquarium of some sort in my house since high school, but I have only ever run a sump once so my plumbing ability is not that great.

My tank is a 95 gallon running sumpless and skimmerless for about 15 months. I made the mistake of buying my live rock from someone that was taking their tank down. I should have known better. It sprouted tons of macro algae, bubble algae, and what I think is turf. Aside from the algae growth I have been very happy with the growth and health of the corals. I have 8 fish and I feed about the equivalent of 2-3 cubes a day if you factor in feeding my corals. This is a recent photo of my tank:

[​IMG]

If you look in the left side of my tank you can see the HOG scrubber that I added in the hope of out competing the macro growing in my tank. I think cost wise I would have been better off building my own water fall scrubber or buying the turbo! Here are some photos of the harvest I got from the HOG. This is 7 days growth:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It took me about 3 months to get to the point where I am harvesting this amount of algae growth. I posted over on the other forum and SM recommended I purchase another HOG or one of the others that he has for sale. That led me to do some more research and I found this forum. I thought my harvest was good until I saw some of the photos of the harvests from waterfall scrubbers. I have a cabinet beside my tank that I could use to plumb a scrubber. My idea is to use my ehiem 1250 externally from the cabinet with the input plumbed about 2" below the tank surface and then run a side drain from the scrubber through the cabinet back to the tank.

[​IMG]

Will this work? The drain would have about a 2 foot horizontal run before dropping into the tank. I appreciate and ideas and advice you all could share with me.

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Sumpless tanks are a bit tricky, which is why the HOG was a really good idea and it seems to work better relative to the SURF. Your growth looks pretty good but I think the UAS shows it's limitations on larger tanks, especially when you are feeding as much as you are. It grows algae well and can do a good job on a nano-size tank, but stand alone on a larger tank, my opinion is that the water turnover rate is too low, and the ratio of water that passes through the HOG to tank water is just too low. But - it's better than no scrubber at all.

Your idea would work and you could do this with a DIY rather simply. It's just a matter of how much you can fit into the cabinet.

First, you want to make sure that you don't flood out the cabinet. So whether a DIY or purchased scrubber, you want to have some kind of pan/tub/tray that would route the water back to the tank. This could be the same thing that houses the scrubber also.

Think of something like a rubbermaid tote, sterilite container, or even a clear cereal storage type container inside a larger catch-bin. Then you put a bulkhead on it, and pipe the drainage back over to the tank. Add a second line as a backup, and you're good. Put in a slot pipe, positioned below the rim so that any spray or drips would be captured. Make the pipe out of 3/4" and use my light blockers

Some clip-on fixtures with either LED lamps or CFLs would do fine for lighting.

As for the pump, you can hang it in the tank if you can rig something up and protect the intake.

So in short, yes, very possible to do this type of setup. The only thing to consider is that your long horizontal drain should probably be very oversized as a small pipe will have some difficulty handing high flow rates, so it might gurgle, flush & drain, etc. Using a really big pipe (like 1.5") would create more of a spillway, and while the water travels back to the tank you will also offgas some bubbles, reducing those introduced into the tank.

3. Jeapa

Jeapa New Member

Thank you for your reply Turbo. My idea is to use a plastic trash can to hold the slot pipe and screen. I would like to run my pump externally from inside the cabinet. This would keep the unsightly pump out of the tank. I would drill a hole through the side of the cabinet and run the input with a sponge prefilter from the tank to the pump. I would place the intake high up in the tank with a siphon brake hole drilled just under the water in case the drain ever clogged. I would also plumb an emergency drain just in case. I am thinking that I would cut out a viewing panel on each side of the trash can so the led lights could be placed straight on instead of clipped at the top angled down. Would I need a clear panel glued in to protect the lights from moisture, or would draping the screen with Saran wrap be enough?

If I sent you my measurements would you be able to make my slot pipe and screen? If so what would you charge? I am thinking of doing a 5" wide by 8" or 9" long screen. I would use 3/4" for the slot pipe and 1" drains. The output from the 1250 is 1/2", but I would adapt it up to 3/4" and install unions so I could easily remove the pump for cleaning. Would I need a gate valve on the drain? I know I need at least a ball valve to control the flow to the screen.
    Thanks again for your help.

4. Jeapa

Jeapa New Member

Do you think this light will work well:
    • Spectrum: Red - 630nm, 660nm & Blue - 460nm
    • Diameter: 4.5 Inches
    • Power Draw: 14.8W / 120-240V / 60Hz / .12 Amps
    • Standard Household Socket - E26
    • Package Includes: 1 - Apollo Horticulture 24 Watt LED Light Bulb
    Product Details
    • Manufacturer: AmazonUs/PSYMG
    • Manufacturer reference: AH LED-PAR38-24W
    • Product Dimensions: 5.7 x 5.7 x 5.5 inches; 14.4 ounces
    • Shipping Weight: 14.4 ounces
    • ASIN: B00PBCG8X0

5. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I think that's this one http://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Horticulture-Spectrum-Indoor-Growing/dp/B00PBCG8X0

those are all 1W LEDs (which is fine) and you probably don't need the 630, but at 1W it's probably not going to harm anything. It doesn't say what the mix is though, you want primarily 660 and only one or two others (450ish usually)

However let's start out with how big you need it to be:

3 cubes/day x 12 sq in = 36 sq in

Lighting should be 36-72W total for CFL

I just realized that I forgot to post my updated LED recommendations, it's on here now

Basically you need 0.25W - 0.5W of LED light out of a pre-built fixture, on each side of the screen. So for a 36 sq in screen, call it 40, you want 10-20W actual draw per fixture. So that one from Amazon is about right, just probably not the best spectrum mixture.

On your questions about the setup, I'm having trouble envisioning how you are planning to get the water out of the tank with an external pump. Are you going to drill the tank and put a bulkhead in to feed to the scrubber pump? You can't place en external pump above the water line, it won't self-start.

6. Jeapa

Jeapa New Member

Ok, I see what you are saying about the pump. I did not realize that it would not self start. So I guess the pump needs to be in the tank. Maybe I could fashion a shelf with magnets to hide it behind my rock work and elevate it off the sand bed. I will figure out some way to make it look less noticeable from the front.

I will keep looking at lights. I know the 660 reds are the ones to get, but I am having trouble finding a fixture with just them. I figure I could reuse the lights from my HOG in one side.

Thanks so much for all of your help.

7. Jeapa

Jeapa New Member

Well I did some more searching and I found this bulb: http://ecreef.com/en/algae-filtration/105-9w-algae-grow-light-bulb

I think two of these per side should work well. They are only 1w leds, but they are the correct color. I will update once I have the scrubber built. I appreciate your help and advice. This will be my first major DIY plumbing project. Wish me luck...lol

8. Jeapa

Jeapa New Member

ok so I decided to get on the wait list for a turbo L2. I am super excited and I think this is a great decision. In the mean time I want to try and get the most out of my HOG. I have the largest version which I think is a 3. My first post in this thread shows 7 days of growth. This morning I noticed that it wasn't bubbling very much so I decided to clean it out. Tonight is only 3 days of growth. I made a video for before and after cleaning to show just how much flow is lost after only 3 days. I think the algae grows from the bottom and clogs the holes in the airline in the process. I took some photos of the harvest which also includes growth on the glass (I guess you would call this 3D growth).

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Algae:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Turbo

Based on the advice I've seem SM give for his units, I would say that you need a bigger air pump. At day 3 you can hardly see the bubbles at all, so flow and growth pretty much stops at that point. I don't know what LPH he recommends but one of those big honkin air pumps he sells would be better (the white/black one). I have one and they are actually not as loud as you would expect.

10. Jeapa

Jeapa New Member

My air pump is pretty dang big. Ill have to check the LPH. The funny thing is the growth doesn't stop, but I am sure with better flow even more would grow although the space within the HOG is somewhat limited. At 7 days it does not seem like there would be room for much more to grow. Ill just keep plugging along for now and keep an eye on the flow.

Once I set up the L2 would you recommend seeding the screen with the algae I have growing in the HOG?

11. Turbo

That pump may seem big, but compared to the Fusion pumps I'm willing to be that it is much lower volume airflow. When you clean the scrubber, do you also "pick" at the sliced airline tubing to make sure it's not stuck together? You only have air bubble coming out of 2 spots, and the amount of air does not appear to be very high volume. So either the pump is not big enough, or the tubing is sticking, or both. You should have big bubble rolling out of that airline tubing, about every 1/2 inch of so (based on what I've seen in other examples)

12. Turbo

You can, and that may start the screen up a bit faster at least with some growth, but that will not necessarily decrease the maturing time. The screen needs to go through an initial growth phase no matter what you do. I would continue to run the HOG even for at least a few weeks or maybe a month.

13. Jeapa

Jeapa New Member

I swapped out the air pump and so far so good. I am hoping the flow will still be good at 7 days growth. I had a large Rena 600 in my stash of supplies up in the attic. I was amazed at all the stuff that I have saved over the years. The Rena is much quieter than the pump I was using so that is a bonus.

14. Nizz

Nizz New Member

At least you are getting hair algae lol

Matt Berry likes this.
  15. Matt Berry

Matt Berry Active Member Trusted Member

I feel your pain :eek:. What is it, almost two years with the SURF2 and no real decent growth?

16. Nizz

Nizz New Member

No and there has to be a reason for that

17. Nizz

Nizz New Member

I even upgraded the air pumps. The good news with the more air flow has made calcium build up in the air tube very rare to happen

18. Matt Berry

Matt Berry Active Member Trusted Member

You could always just sell it and build or buy a waterfall scrubber. I doubt you'd have any issues growing algae then.

19. Nizz

Nizz New Member

I know. I am just ready to give this up yet. I have been known to move things quick if the product doesn't work. But I am trying to be patient with this and find out why. I am try to dose iron. But that's driving me but because the liquid keeps flowing back in the container I am pulling the liquid from.

20. Nizz

Nizz New Member

Funny thing is I don't have a algae problem in the main display. I also took the protein slimmer off like about 5 months ago to