1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Without skimmer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by IAmNotGr33n, Mar 16, 2014.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. IAmNotGr33n

IAmNotGr33n Member Customer

Hi all

I was thinking, ( yeah I know is dangerous) are there any one, who stopped using there skimmer after installing a ATS

I also wanna here if you only use a ATS....

2. Yes, I stopped using a skimmer over a year ago when I started using an ATS. The skimmer takes organics out of the water, while the ATS removes the product of the organics after they are processed by your system.

The two technologies are not necessarily compatible as they compete against each other. That said, there are many who use both and have success that way.

3. And right now the only filtration I am using is an ATS - seems to work to keep Nitrates and Phosphates under control.

4. IAmNotGr33n

Cool, how about your corals? Seen any different Better/worse:
    Color
    Polyp extension
    Probably more :)

5. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I don't run a skimmer on most setups, but I am not one to recommend removing one necessarily. There are many benefits of a skimmer than just nutrient export, aeration being one, and this may have a large impact on polyp extension. We really don't know all the reasons why PE happens or doesn't. With a scrubber, you can get away with a much smaller skimmer and save money and power costs, I would say that is about as far as I am willing to concede to the anti-skimmer crowd.

Setting up a tank with no skimmer from the start is one thing. Removing (or adding, for that matter) any piece of filtration from an existing, established setup is something that should be done with caution, and done slowly over a period of time.

6. IAmNotGr33n

Wise words...

If I can get a scrubber to do all my nutrition export. I would not relay in my skimmer to aerate my water.

In my early days with freshwater the only aeration I used, was surface agitation, and I have plenty of that in my reef tank...

I can only agree with you on every thing shall be done with caution, nothing in the reef happens fast, except for disasters.