1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worm5406 Progress

Discussion in 'Customer Support' started by worm5406, May 5, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. worm5406

worm5406 New Member Customer

Yes and the oscillated from one side to the other. 6 for a then 6 for b then 6 for a then 6 for b....

Now 24 for A and 24 for B... LOL

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I would leave it at 6/6, like it was. 24/7 lighting is not natural - all living things (plants & algae included) need dark time.

If you want to increase intensity, remove the diffusers and leave the 6/6/6/6 schedule in place.

3. worm5406

In my current setup I would have to modify that. As the red can still bleed through, it will not create a real dark time.

Maybe I will set it up as 18/6 on/off??

Or maybe an OSC command from my apex.

Ideas/thoguhts?

I mean I have a lot of growth right now. LOL... I am happy it is being exported as much as it is too.

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

...that's why I say don't mess with it - you're getting great growth with the 6/6 alternating scenario that you used in the week prior to that cleaning video. So why change it?

I would leave it and monitor the growth over the next month to see if there are any changes. If you had an algae problem in your tank, it is possible that the scrubber algae is growing well because it is 'cleaning up' your tank. This concept (of pulling nutrients from the rock/sand) is a point of current debate, but if that is indeed what happens, it is likely that the mechanism is a combination of bacteria chemical reactions (in the form of Bacterial Cleaving) and algal allelopathy (when a low nutrient environment exists) that causes the release of bound nutrients (phosphate) from solid form.

So the long and short is that you should probably leave well enough alone - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

5. worm5406

Well not broke... would be 24/7 for the last 2 months.

LOL

Hummmm

6. Turbo

Oh now I see...I misread the thread. You were using the 6/6 schedule, then you bumped it up to 24/7.

In that case, the only thing I would change is maybe putting in a 2 hour dark period, but even that would be fixing what is not broken.

If you were to remove the diffusers to increase the overall intensity, I would probably back the lighting off to 18 on / 6 off at least. But again...ain't broke...

7. worm5406

I wish I could put a camera in it or set up to take a picture the exact same time /angle daily to see the growth.

Then I would do a week on 24/7
    clean
    a week on 18--6
    clean
    take off diffusers and repeat.

8. Turbo

You could probably drill a hole in the lid and put in a wide-angle miniature camera and watch at least one side grow.

9. worm5406

I think my manufacturer would void my warranty if I did that.

10. Turbo

LOL...only the warranty on the lid

11. worm5406

Well I will have to find a camera now.. LOL...

UUGH....

I just bought a few grown up toys that go BANG so I cut into my tank funds a bit... LOL...

12. worm5406

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
  13. Turbo

Wow. Textbook 3D growth!

14. worm5406

LOL.. Thanks!

Glad it is working as designed.... So am I!!

I subscribed back btw.