1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Filtration Bought 2016 and only now about to get wet.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SillySanj, Dec 18, 2017.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. SillySanj

SillySanj Member Customer

Bought the L2 rev4 HF from Bud about April 2016 and only now starting to use it :)

I did also have a L2 HF (upgraded model) running on the old tank before closing down for building work (loft and living room redecoration)

Decision made to purchase a new 5x2x2 tank and setup the scrubber then.
    Only realised that the sump tank a little too wide and needed to wait for a custom bracket to be made.

As you can see below the bracket fits tight and also holes made about right so the unit doesn't move once placed in.

Now just waiting for some new tubing to connect the TMC 1500 pump to the scrubber and I should be off and running.

@Bud - still have the mesh in original bag and water with "keep damp" on it :)
    Hoping it'll be rough n tuff for the algae to hold on still.

DSC_1451.JPG DSC_1452.JPG DSC_1453.JPG DSC_1454.JPG DSC_1455.JPG

More pics to come when it's up n running with plenty of greens :)

cono and Turbo like this.
  2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Oh man...I don't want to know what that looks like after sitting for nearly 2 years!! I'm thinking that you might want to "sterilize" that screen maybe...how, I'm not totally sure. Maybe place it in a small bucket, fill with tap water, and add a capful of bleach and let it sit for a few hours, swish it a couple times, then dump the water and fill with RODI, soak for a day, dump that & refill/soak again, just to be safe.

Hopefully the mortar is still attached, if not, that's easy enough to replace.
    Yeah man, I emailed you about that via my support/ticket system a while back, but I never heard back from you...

3. SillySanj

Hey Bud,

Sadly had issues with some house decor and one thing after another and delay after delay, lost track of time.

I'll steralise the screen tomorrow as requested and see how it ends up. Worse case scenario is I'll make a new mesh screen and rough it up like the old one. As long as it makes the good green algae, i'll be happy.

I'l post end results once I have something.

Ta.

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

You won’t ever have to re-rough the screen, at worst you would just need to re-apply the mortar. As long as it stayed damp, it should still be attached and somewhat flexible but I’m curious to see how it held up after nearly 2 years in a bag

5. SillySanj

Will let you know in next few days as I'll clean and sterilise the mortar screen and send you some pics etc.

Turbo likes this.
  6. SillySanj

Original bag with mesh

DSC_1457.JPG

Close up of the mortar (sorry for bad pic)

DSC_0004_BURST20171219191920257.JPG

Full screen shot and some of the mortar just washed off but mesh still feels rough to the touch.

DSC_1458.JPG

Currently sitting in tub of bleach so will clean, rinse and fill up with RO overnight.

Current DSC_1459.JPG

7. Turbo

you don't need bleach to be that concentrated to kill off everything, 1 capful to a gallon is more than enough to sterilize. Your last pic above looks like not much water and a lot of bleach, that's probably sterilized by now :eek:

8. SillySanj

Believe it or not but that's one and a half squirts of bleach and some warm water. Looks a lot more I know.
    My tubing not going to be delivered until this weekend so atm mesh in RO water and will change daily.

9. SillySanj

Ladies and Gents.... the scrubber is now online and I'm just waiting for the lovely green growth to start appearing.
    Hopefully once the scrubber is seeded, I'll post some pics.

Turbo likes this.
  10. SillySanj

Not bad for couple of weeks of running :) I'm happy as Larry as I can see my tank already clearing up brown algae from the new rock.

DSC_1505.JPG

11. SillySanj

Soon as I put the mesh back in and turn the pump on, overflow drain noise started. Removed mesh and can see long algae strains.

DSC_1506.JPG DSC_1507.JPG

Bud do you think algae is having difficulty attaching itself to the mesh?

12. Turbo

No, I think it’s “piling up” in the growth chamber, when that happens Sone of the algae adheres to the growth chamber, and when you lifted the screen up to check it, that pulled strands that were attached to both of our place

I recommend instead sliding the light fixture sideways, or just pulling off an end cover plate.

I would harvest that growth below the bottom edge of the screen and leave the growth attached to the screen alone.

How many days have you been running this? 21?

13. SillySanj

Hey Bud

Yes 21 days give or take.

Feeding 1 or 2 cubes a day and algae from leaching dry rock probably increased nutrients.

14. Turbo

Yup I’d harvest. At only 21 days another factor could be that only a small % of the growth is well adehere yet.

That impressive growth from zero in 21 days!

15. SillySanj

I've always had faith in your L2 products Bud ;)

Are you still shipping those support brackets as the one on link below ? as my current bracket doesn't give me room for manoeuvrability.

Support Bracket for Turbo Algae Scrubbers

16. Turbo

Yup I am but those probably cost a pretty penny to ship internationally by themselves. Let me see what I can do. I'll bump your support ticket

SillySanj likes this.
  17. SillySanj

Round 2 :)
    DSC_1537.JPG DSC_1538.JPG DSC_1539.JPG

Turbo likes this.
  18. That's sick for three weeks!

Turbo and SillySanj like this.
  19. SillySanj

Yes, new tank setup with dry reef rock/bones (leaching) and scrubber enabled. Always have confidence in Buds scrubber :)

20. SillySanj

Round 3... how big an thick does this look?

DSC_1621.JPG DSC_1622.JPG DSC_1623.JPG