1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Filtration Can the ATS screen size compensate for the strength of light?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Levinson, Feb 26, 2020.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Levinson

Levinson New Member

Hi, I was wondering if the larger ATS screen size can compensate for the strength of the light, assuming the light is evenly spread across the screen.
    In another words, can weaker light over a larger screen perform as well as setup with a smaller screen with a stronger light source?

How about flowrate? Can a setup with a larger screen size with lower flow rate perform as well as a smaller screen size with a high flow rate setup? (Assuming the light remained the same).

2. trivodi

trivodi Member

USA
    I don't think it does. Too much light and algae starts going yellow, too little light and it's not growing good enough to filter right. You need good flow when it's growing strong so the roots don't die and detach from the screen. You need it all dialed right for this to work just like a skimmer or your light for the display.

3. Levinson

Levinson New Member

Thank you for your response! It seems it's not as easy as it seemed when I first looked into it but I'll try to think of a setup that works for me.

4. trivodi

trivodi Member

USA
    It's not that hard, you just need to find the sweet spot, like anything else. The best way too that is to have dimmable leds in the scrubber in my opinion.

5. trivodi

trivodi Member

USA