1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Introducing the new Turbo Algae Scrubber! (Rev 4)

Discussion in 'Product Information' started by Turbo, Sep 3, 2015.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Is there a way to see where you are on the waiting list for the L8 units , I would take an L4 and add another later if that would be quicker?

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

They are not submersible but they have end caps and a clear acrylic shield, and the way they are installed they are very well protected. Not that I would intentionally do it, but if one spilled water on top of the scrubber and it dripped or poured down over the fixtures themselves, it would not easily get near any of the internal components.

If the scrubber is mounted such that a power outage would submerge the scrubber to the point where the LED boards get wet while they are energized, they're likely going to get ruined.

The waiting list is not based on the size of unit you want, it's based on when you were placed on the waiting list (essentially when you first reached out and showed interest). What I have been doing lately is asking you to assign yourself a "priority" level, and then I try to get to those first. But at the moment, I'm so far behind due to life intervening that everyone is pretty much in one of two levels, "right now" or "whenever you can get to me"

If you are not on the list right now I'm calling the wait time 2 months, minimum. Life has definitely thrown me curve balls this year, more than I could have imagined.

Dxmarinefish likes this.
  3. rureef

rureef New Member

Russia
    Hi Bud,

I have a 300g tank, Bubble King® Supermarin 250 and some alive rock in the sump. I plan 8 tangs 12-15 and other fish. Heavy feeding 3-4 times a day. What do you think I need L4 or L8?

What is the difference between L8 and L8S models ?

What is the power consumption of LEDs L8 ?

How many water do i need for normal work of scrubber L8 ?

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Welcome to the site!

My units are sized primarily according to feeding: L2 = 2 cubes/day, L4 = 4, etc. Then there are secondary factors, which are a little more subjective, and very much dependent on your specific system / setup. Here's a blurb on sizing that I really need to throw up on my website:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Based on experience and feedback, here are some rough "dividing lines"

L2: good for tanks up to 120 to 150 gallons that are fed ~2 cubes/day, possibly a bit more feeding.

L4: good for tanks up to 250-300 gallons fed ~4 cubes/day

L8: tanks up to about 500g fed ~8 cubes/day

L16: up to 1000g systems fed ~16 cubes/day

Now given that, there are some adjustment factors that you can take into account.

The first is other filtration. If you have other "primary" filtration components, these are obviously going to take up some of the filtration load. These can be live rock, skimmer, biopellets or other carbon dosing, filter socks, auto-water-change systems, denitrators, phosphate reactors/GFO, carbon, macro refugiums, you name it.

So for example, if you have a 200g tank with a big skimmer (200-250g rated) and a biopellet reactor and you feed 4 cubes/day, you might be able to use an L2 because that skimmer and reactor are going to take up a good chunk of the load. But, you could also get an L4 and then the scrubber might take on a more complementary or possibly primary role, or give you room to grow, or serve as a fail-safe system.

Now let's say you have a moderate sized skimmer (100-150g rated) and no BP reactor, now you likely to need the L4 as the scrubber is going to act more like primary filtration with the skimmer being complementary to the scrubber (but there are some really good 150g rated skimmers also...)

Another factor is tank turnover rate - this is probably only an issue when you are in the range of 100-300g. If you look at the total flow across the screen in GPH and then divide that by the system volume, you get a tank turnover rate (it's not full-pass turnover, but anyways...). IMO you want this number to be > 1.0. So if an L2 need ~200 GPH and your tank is 200g, that's a TTR=1 which is a bit low, but its' OK. If you are at 250g, then it's TTR=200/250=0.8, while an L4 at 400+ GPH would be TTR=400/250=1.6, much better. Once you get to the 300-400g range, that's when the L4 TTR starts to close on 1.0, but when you jump to the L8 that doesn't change because the unit length is the same, but the screen is 2x as tall so you get a longer contact time per pass.

Next you have other factors like persistent nutrient problems, a very neglected tank, or major algae problems. These tend to either bump you up a unit in size, but that is a temporary thing so I try to steer people who are in those situations to choose a unit that suits their "ideal" situation rather than view the scrubber as a "problem fixer". A scrubber can be that, in the long term, but in the short term sometimes you just have to do what needs to be done to get on the path to that ideal situation then set yourself up for long term success.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The LED consumption is of course based on what dimmer setting you are using, as the actual consumed power will vary with dimming. I'm pretty sure I measured the actual draw with an ammeter/voltmeter at some point and I took a video but I can't find it. What I can tell you is that the L2 uses a single Meanwell LPV-60-15 power supply to power up 2 LED boards, so that is a maximum possible draw of 60 watts (if memory serves me correctly, it's actually more like 40W at max power draw.

So the L4 would be exactly 2x that, or 80W (uses 4 LED boards and 2x 60W power supplies). L8 160W (8 LED boards and 2x 100W power supplies), L16 320W (16 LED boards, and 4x 100W power supplies).

Let me know if this information does not answer your questions, or if it raises additional ones!

5. rureef

rureef New Member

Russia
    Thank you for the quick response !

I understand that L4 and 400G+ of water, will be enough for me.
    Does the L4S model exist ? or it is the same to the L4 ?

I want one like that.
    Can I reserve it here? or i have to do it somewhere else?

6. Turbo

I'm not sure what you're referring to with the "s" models?

If you want to be added to the waiting list, open a support ticket by following the directions here: Turbo's Aquatics - Ordering

7. rureef

rureef New Member

Russia
  8. rureef

rureef New Member

Russia
  9. Turbo

If you're referring to the part where I mention making several L4s and L8s, that is plural, not a model number. One L4, two L4s, one L8, four L8s

10. rureef

rureef New Member

Russia
    *) ок

I understood, I thought the difference in the models)

I have made an order for L4.

11. Raven

Raven New Member

Ohio
    Hello! New to the site. Have had a 75gal saltwater tank now for 5yrs. Running Maxspect Razor lighting 320w 1500k, 100lb live rock, deepsand bed, and Octopus skimmer. Also have an old Inland ATS on the back of tank with dump tray... Have four fish, ?? amount of different snails, serpent star and around 10 Peppermint shrimp to help control my out of control glass stinging apstisha! Having been looking at a newer better quieter ATS for my set up! Could you please help me choose which Turbo ATS would work best for my set up? I do plan on adding leather and soft corals once I get my pest problem under control! I'm thinking the Rev2. I also dose every day with B-Ionic.. Thanks for any help!

12. rureef

rureef New Member

Russia
    Hi Bud !

I have made a true size model from carton and came to conclusion that the L8 model is perfect for my sump.
    I ask you to exchange the first model L4 to the model L8
    Thank you for your attention
    I hope that this change will not bring you any discomfort

13. Hi there. Can u put me down for an L2 Rev 4 please. How long will it take??

Thanks.

14. Turbo

done, I replied to your email as well
    Please go here and follow the directions to open up a support ticket, we'll take it from there!
    Turbo's Aquatics - Ordering

Dxmarinefish likes this.
  15. Chrises08

Chrises08 New Member

Hey what's the lead time for an L2/L4 right now?

16. Turbo

All units are roughly a 2 month lead time - I fill orders based on contact date & priority

17. Turbo

18. rureef

rureef New Member

Russia
    Hi,
    How do you doing at making scrubbers? When will you be able to sendmy order to me?

19. Turbo

You are on my waiting list, but I am very far behind any planned production schedule. Work ramped up to the point where I haven't even set foot in my garage to work on a scrubber in over 2 weeks. I have been so busy that I actually didn't have time to check any non-work related email for nearly a week. Not kidding. Sorry to everyone waiting, you will be taken care of, but right now I am in a pretty serious holding pattern until my work demands taper off a bit. I have been working 16+ hour days for more than 2 weeks straight, the only break I got was this weekend and I did nearly zero of anything.

20. Man, don't burn out.
    I remember 2003 to 2004 I was pushing 14hrs per day on a 7 day week...went gray in 3 weeks and messed with my health.
    Looking back was it worth it ?
    Only that I learned not to do it again.

I am on the waiting list but no sweat, I can wait.
    Better to have you going well, you have made some pretty impressive contributions to our hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danmgray likes this.