1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Introducing the new Turbo Algae Scrubber! (Rev 4)

Discussion in 'Product Information' started by Turbo, Sep 3, 2015.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. AA79

AA79 New Member

I started a conversation but did not get a reply so I wasn't sure if it work.

Please put me on the waiting list for the new L2 Rev4.

Thanks

2. Eddie909

Eddie909 New Member

NJ
    Put me down for the L4.

thanks

3. r33fswagg3r

r33fswagg3r New Member

Can you please add me to the list for a L2 Version 4.

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Hey everyone, just coming off of our fest Saturday (I was the coordinator) and catching up on many things, I'll put you all on the list!

5. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

So this happened today! 1000lb of aluminum heat sinks!

First time that I've ever had something delivered by semi. Probably not the last either!

This will be taking up some space in my garage for a while.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. wagnerpj

wagnerpj New Member

I would like to order an L2-R4, or an L2-R3 if you have one around. Thanks.

7. Turbo

I'll put you down!

8. I would love to go down for the new L4 please. Thanks

9. Turbo

I'll put you down!

10. Turbo

Admin note: Merged the "Wait List" thread into this one. All posts were merged together so no one lost their place or anything like that :) just made more sense to make it all one thread, since there were replies/requests on both

11. Turbo

Got a few updates

Schedule:
    Things are on track for L2 production, the only thing I am waiting on to officially pull the trigger are the first-run samples. These are supposed to be in my hands a few days either side of Christmas. So, with that timing, I'm expecting them after Christmas. As long as there are not issues that require correction, I will have the first run of 50 units in my hands around January 20th. I have already adjusted the 2nd post of this thread to reflect the Wait List date of January 1st 2016 for locking into the Introductory Pricing.

L4 and L8:
    I've been getting a little more interest than I expected for the L4 and quite a few inquiries for the L8 (and larger). I'm pushing hard to get the L4 models finished up. I've also come up with a way to make the L8 work without the need for a huge and super-expensive mold. If it works out as I forsee, the L8 should be available at the same time as the L4. I'm still hoping for mid-Spring on both, so stay tuned.

Win an L2 in the Reef2Reef 2015 Toy Drive! <--clicky, donate, pretty self explanatory.

Mortar Screen:
    This is something that Paul B posted a little while back, and I posted on the Algae Scrubber Basics Resource Page. I posted my version of this method in the same thread earlier today. After seeing how these turned out, I have a lot of confidence that this is the new screen type that I have been searching for.

Gooey blobs of algae:
    One thing this thread has been lacking is pictures. Pictures of slap-yo-mama growth. Well here's your fix for that type of stuff, 500 pictures to make your kids go EEEWWWWWWWW like mine do. Weaklings. They've never been fortunate enough to get a huge whiff of skimmate or they wouldn't be complaining!

http://s611.photobucket.com/user/FloydRTurbo/library/00 Algae Scrubbers/2015 Cleanings?sort=9&page=1

Here's a few for those who don't want to scroll through Photobucket.

These pics are a mixture of 3 scrubbers I maintain:

A Rev 1 L2 on my personal 120g (top of tank, sole filtration)
    A Rev 1 L2 on a 144g tank at an office in town (over sump, sole filtration)
    A Rev 3 L4 on a 200g tank at a Japanese Steakhouse in town (alongside skimmer, filter sock, and carbon)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At some point in time, I started weighing harvests. These are always shown as a series of about 6 pictures: Wet (first in Ounces, then Grams), then after a good squeeze of the whole ball of algae (Oz & g), and then after a really strong squeeze of the algae, one chunk at a time to really get the majority of the water out (Oz & g). To me, this is the only reliable method of comparing harvests, as it shows the differential between wet, somewhat wet, and relatively dry harvests. Do that consistently for a series of months and you will see a pattern that shows it wasn't just a one-off measurement, or just the pick-of-the-litter harvest.

Something like this
    [​IMG]

Wet (14.8 oz)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Squeezed (9 oz)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Squeezed a lot (4.9 oz)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More nasty pics on next post

12. Turbo

Not every scrubber grows awesome. The L4 mentioned above doesn't really ever grow massive, but the tank is lightly fed (even though it has a 9" Vlamingi Tang) and he runs a skimmer and filter sock. The scrubber seems to grow a lot of slime that fills up the growth chamber, but doesn't take up much volume once the water is off. But, the N & P are spot on, and no tank algae, 2 years running and no issues. that's what is really important.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then, there's the L2s. Both grow gangbusters. Both tanks are fed decent chunks of DIY food and LRS Reef Frenzy and the algae growth is consistent

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Turbo

Left the timer in the "on" position instead of 12 ON / 12 OFF for 2 weeks recently this is what happened

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New mortar screen going in this one soon as well
    [​IMG]

1lb 7.1 oz wet
    [​IMG]

13.8 oz squeezed
    [​IMG]

8 oz really squeezed (this took a while)
    [​IMG]

14. newjack

newjack New Member

usa
    Please add me to the wait list for a L2 model. This is a double post. I just PM you on Reefcentral.

15. Turbo

hey @newjack I just got this and your PM at the same time! I'll put you on the list!

16. JMC1018

JMC1018 New Member

Can you please add me to the wait list for the L2. Thanks!

17. Turbo

18. I would like to be added to the list for an L2, please.

19. Turbo

I'll add you Tracie!

20. Thanks!!

Turbo likes this.